Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Water Tips | Fire Tips | Biohazard Tips | Mold Tips
The first 48 hours after a fire can make the difference between restoring and replacing your property and personal belongings. Here in Michigan we don't have too many wild fires to contend with, but that doesn't mean a catastrophe can't happen at any time. If you experience a fire in your home, here are some tips on what you can do until help arrives:
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from spreading
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and carpet that is wet from extinguishing the fire
- Do not attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces
- Do not shampoo or wash any carpet or upholstery
Located in the heart of Flint Township, we are less than an hour away from anyone in our service area, and we can be on site quickly to provide timely mitigation services. This will help ensure your property, belongings, and memories are restored to preloss conditions whenever possible.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (810) 732-3298
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.