Small Appliance Fires
There are a myriad of things that can cause house fires. It can seem impossible to prevent all the fire hazards in your home. Smaller appliances such as toasters, space heaters and dehumidifiers can pose great risks if not properly used, maintained and monitored.
-Be sure to check the appliance regularly. Any irregularity in the unit or the power cord could be a potential fire hazard.
-Be sure that the wall outlets you are plugging your appliance into are working properly. If you notice any flickering lights or sparks shut the power off and contact an electrician.
-Unplug the appliance when not in use. An unused toaster sitting on the counter can easily be accidentally turned on.
-Make sure the appliance is far away from any potential fire hazard such as blankets, papers or even water which can cause the unit to spark.
Many appliances have safety features on them that are supposed to shut the unit off when they tip over or malfunction in some way but this is not fool proof. Never leave them running unattended.