If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (810) 732-3298

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Spontaneous Combustion From Improper Grease Rag Disposal

5/18/2022 (Permalink)

Did you know that a grease rag thrown into a waste basket can catch on fire?  

"Spontaneous combustion of oily rags occurs when rag or cloth is slowly heated to its ignition point through oxidation. A substance will begin to release heat as it oxidizes. If this heat has no way to escape, like in a pile, the temperature will rise to a level high enough to ignite the oil and ignite the rag or cloth"

Fires that ignite in this manner can spread quickly to other combustibles and cause great loss.  

To prevent this from happening, you need to dispose of the rags in a metal container with a proper sealing lid. Fill the container with water and close the lid. This step prevents the oils from oxidizing. 

If your home or business has a fire, call SERVPRO of Northwest Genesee County today! 

Other News

View Recent Posts