Routine Exhaust Fan Maintenance
Bathroom exhaust fan fires are commonly caused by four different things.
- Faulty wiring
- Running the fan for extended periods of time
- Overheating the motor
- Failure to clean the fan
An exhaust fan fire can cause devastating damage. In the attached picture, you can see what a SERVPRO customer was left with after their fan caught fire. The fire department had to completely drown the bathroom and surrounding areas with water to put a stop to the flames, leaving the homeowner with extensive FIRE AND WATER damage.
To prevent this from happening in your home, follow these simple routine maintenance steps.
Get in the habit of inspecting and cleaning your bathroom fans regularly. Every six months to a year is recommended.
Exhaust fans should not run for long periods of time and should always be turned off before leaving the house. The recommended time to run the fan is between 15 and 20 minutes.